Do you want to know what is happiness? I’ll tell you the secret.
True happiness is not money. Money merely allows you to do things you want to do. Focus on happiness, not coin.
Your Own Answer To What Is Happiness
I want to give you a few steps to achieving a happier life. I’m an encourager. I want to help and assist people in what I believe is most meaningful. I don’t want to be superficial. But I also know that having the good life is a very real possibility.
So here are two easy steps to getting the life you want. This is the answer to What is Happiness?
Grab a pen and a piece of paper. This piece of paper needs to be a certain size. It needs to be small and easily fit into your wallet or purse. It also needs to be placed in a place where it can be seen often and regularly. This is important!
What is the paper for?
What you need to do is write down one thing on this piece of paper. You need to write down how much money you want to be making annually, twelve months from today. It’s not a sentence, but a statement. Your statement for anticipated annual earnings might look something like this.
Now that you’ve written in ink what your financial goal is, put it in your wallet or purse. Look at it often and ask yourself the following questions.
- What things can I do today to help me achieve my goal?
- How can I spend less each week/month in order to position myself better for success?
- Who do I know that is succeeding in their financial ambitions? (Hang around with that person more.)
- Will the job/career I’m in currently allow me to achieve my goal? If not, how can I exit this job/career wisely?
- What niche business/industry can I enter that will give me pleasure and allow me to succeed?
- If that niche doesn’t currently exist, can I create it? Is there enough interest for me to succeed?
Don’t skip this step. It is the beginning step in the process of answering a question that only you can answer, which is: What is happiness?
Now, on a separate piece of paper start listing the things you would like to do in life. Maybe you want to travel more, or go on a cruise, or give more money to charities (like your church), or drive a better car, or eat out more, or…
List the things that would give you joy and happiness.
Once you have your list, read through it twice. Once you’re finished reading through it, you need to realize something. You need to realize that the answer to What is happiness? is NOT on the piece of paper in your wallet or purse. Your personal answer to What is happiness? is on the second piece of paper. This list is what your own definition of happiness really is.
The number on the paper in you wallet or purse (the $100,000 or whatever it is for you) is merely what you need to get close to in order to begin ACTUALLY DOING what you want to do in order to achieve happiness.
Does that make sense? I hope it does. It’s simple, and I’m convinced it is the beginning for you being able to answer the question: What is happiness for me?
- Write down the figure of money you want to earn every year in order to be happy.
- List the things you want to do (accomplish) in life that will make you happy.
- Realize that money is NOT the answer to happiness. Money can be the means used to create more happiness.
- Begin changing the things in your life that will enable you to get to the place of making the amount of money on your little piece of paper.
- Finally, BE CAREFUL TO NOT CREATE DEBT! Even if you made $1,000,000 every year, but were over your head in debt, you won’t be happy. Instead, you’ll be stressed out, losing sleep, and wondering what went wrong.
Question: What things would you write down on your second list that would help you answer the question: What is happiness?
* Image credit: adwriter (Creative Commons)